Course DescriptionThis 5-day instructor led course describes how to implement a data warehouse platform to support a BI solution. Students will learn how to create a data warehouse with Microsoft® SQL Server® 2016 and with Azure SQL Data Warehouse, to implement ETL with SQL Server Integration Services, and to validate and cleanse data with SQL Server Data Quality Services and SQL Server Master Data Services.
Module 1: Introduction to Data Warehousing
Describe data warehouse concepts and architecture considerations.
Module 2: Planning Data Warehouse Infrastructure
This module describes the main hardware considerations for building a data warehouse.
Module 3: Designing and Implementing a Data Warehouse
This module describes how you go about designing and implementing a schema for a data warehouse.
Module 4: Columnstore Indexes
This module introduces Columnstore Indexes.
Module 5: Implementing an Azure SQL Data Warehouse
This module describes Azure SQL Data Warehouses and how to implement them.
Module 6: Creating an ETL Solution
At the end of this module you will be able to implement data flow in a SSIS package.
Module 7: Implementing Control Flow in an SSIS Package
This module describes implementing control flow in an SSIS package.
Module 8: Debugging and Troubleshooting SSIS Packages
This module describes how to debug and troubleshoot SSIS packages.
Module 9: Implementing an Incremental ETL Process
This module describes how to implement an SSIS solution that supports incremental DW loads and changing data.
Module 10: Enforcing Data Quality
This module describes how to implement data cleansing by using Microsoft Data Quality services.
Module 11: Using Master Data Services
This module describes how to implement master data services to enforce data integrity at source.
Module 12: Extending SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS)
This module describes how to extend SSIS with custom scripts and components.
Module 13: Deploying and Configuring SSIS Packages
This module describes how to deploy and configure SSIS packages.
Module 14: Consuming Data in a Data Warehouse
This module describes how to debug and troubleshoot SSIS packages
After completing this course, students will be able to:
- Describe the key elements of a data warehousing solution
- Describe the main hardware considerations for building a data warehouse
- Implement a logical design for a data warehouse
- Implement a physical design for a data warehouse
- Create columnstore indexes
- Implementing an Azure SQL Data Warehouse
- Describe the key features of SSIS
- Implement a data flow by using SSIS
- Implement control flow by using tasks and precedence constraints
- Create dynamic packages that include variables and parameters
- Debug SSIS packages
- Describe the considerations for implement an ETL solution
- Implement Data Quality Services
- Implement a Master Data Services model
- Describe how you can use custom components to extend SSIS
- Deploy SSIS projects
- Describe BI and common BI scenarios
In addition to their professional experience, students who attend this training should already have the following technical knowledge:
- At least 2 years’ experience of working with relational databases, including:
- Designing a normalized database.
- Creating tables and relationships.
- Querying with Transact-SQL.
- Some exposure to basic programming constructs (such as looping and branching).
- An awareness of key business priorities such as revenue, profitability, and financial accounting is desirable.