Additional Information about Virtual Classes
* Using a laptop or desktop computer is recommended when taking virtual classes at the Workforce Center.
Equipment must include a microphone and speakers, but a webcam is preferred. Students may use any webcam, but a webcam with a built in microphone makes installation easier.
Here are some webcam recommendations:
Alternatively, students can attend a virtual class via phone, but the use of web audio is strongly recommended.
Improving Online Performance
Close any non-essential applications.
Free up all available system resources.
Do not connect to a VPN during your class.
Use a wire internet connection.
Wired connections are typically stronger and more reliable than wireless.
Reboot before joining the Virtual Class
A simple reboot will free up audio/video resources and ensures other application are completely closed.
Registration and Set-Up for VIRTUAL Classes
- Before you register for a virtual class, run this WebEx test to ensure your computer set-up is compatible: http://www.webex.com/test
- Classes with virtual options available will have a Delivery Options choice that will say Live at SLU or Live Online - Virtual on the registration site. When enrolling, be sure to select "Live Online - Virtual" from this menu.
- After registering, please send an email with your preferred phone and email address for WebEx to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you are a new virtual student, a staff member from SLU's Workforce Center will contact you a few days before your class is scheduled to start and will run a WebEx test with you and assist with set-up.
- After this test is run successfully, you will receive a WebEx invitation via email instructing you to register for a Conference session for your class. Go ahead and register for this session as soon as you can. Keep in mind, this invitation will have instructions for connecting virtually to your class. You will also receive two reminder emails for this Conference session -- one 24 hours beforehand and another just before class is scheduled to begin.
- If you are registered for a technical class, you will receive a separate email for a Hands-On session. On the day of class, remember to connect to the Hands-On session prior to connecting to the Conference session.
- For each day of class, the class session will be available to connect 30 minutes prior to class beginning. We request that students join the WebEx session at least 15 minutes prior to class beginning so as not to disrupt the start of class.
- Note: Be sure to add email@example.com to the spam filter list to ensure that you can get the invite and reminder emails from the WebEx system. Also, if you need to connect to the WorkForce Center WebEx page, here is the link: workforcecenter.webex.com