Inclusive Leadership is about treating people and groups fairly based on their unique characteristics, rather than acting on biases derived from stereotypes. It is also about personalizing individuals, understanding and valuing their uniqueness and differences while including them as members of the organization and work groups. Inclusive Leadership allows the utilization of brainstorming among diverse groups resulting in smarter ideas, solutions and decision making. This can ultimately provide different more creative approaches and ways of working to move organizations forward.
Through assessments, reflection, discussion and activities participants will learn to develop and apply inclusive leadership skills. They will learn about equality and diversity and see how it can grow their team and organization, enhance their performance, and improve personal satisfaction. Participants also learn to identify and overcome unconscious bias, develop empathy and strategies for dealing with micro aggressions. In preparation for the program, students will be asked to complete approximately 30 minutes of Pre-Work.
This course is PDU eligible.
Introductions and Ice Breakers Module
Module 1 – Introduction to Inclusive Leadership
Module 2 - Why is Empathy Important?
Module 3 - Diversity and Unconscious Bias
Module 4 – Microaggressions
Module 5 - Inclusive Leadership Approach
Upon completion of the class, participants will be able to:
- Understand what equality, diversity and inclusion means for inclusive leadership.
- Gain Inclusive leadership skills.
- Understand the impact of bias and unconscious bias in the workplace.
- Implement tested strategies for undermining unconscious bias.
- Reduce the effects of conscious and unconscious bias.
- Demonstrate the attributes of an empathetic inclusive leader.
- Use strategies for limiting microaggressions.
There are no prerequisites for this course.
6 Hours or 2 Nights
*Academic Unit eligibility to be determined by college/university in which you are enrolled in a degree seeking program.